As some of you may be aware, there has been national and international media coverage lately about a disturbing internet challenge. It is important to note that new challenges are arising on the Internet all the time, and we look to you, our families, to have important conversations with your children about making safe decisions while online.
While there is currently no evidence that this particular challenge has resulted in direct physical harm to children, we do think it is important to understand and to be aware of current social media challenges, as well as how to best approach these types of challenges with your children.
The following are some resources to reinforce the digital citizenship lessons we have taught in our schools to help our young learners navigate the internet, as well as tools for families looking to parent in a digital age:
- Common Sense Media
- Family Online Safety Institute
- “13 Online Challenges Your Kid Already Knows About” (Common Sense Media)
- Creating a Family Media Plan (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Teaching Kids About Internet Safety (GCFLearnFree.org)
- Talking with Kids About Being Online (Federal Trade Commission)
- Safe Online Surfing (Federal Bureau of Investigation)
- National Cyber Security Alliance
If you have questions or concerns, please contact your school site administration.
Lennox School District